Welcome to the first post of This or That? – A new series of reviews where I take two similar, yet different products and compare them to see which one is best for you!
In this edition of This or That I will be comparing two very popular pod coffee machines that are on the market today – Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso Pod Coffee Maker.
Both of these machines make a great cup of coffee, but which one should you get? Let’s find out!
Nespresso Pod Coffee Machine
The Nespresso Pod Coffee Machine has two main product lines – the Original and the Vertuo.
The Original machines are meant to make espresso-style beverages with sizes up to Lungo (110ml), while the Vertuo machines are meant to make coffee beverages of larger capacity, up to Mug (230ml) or even Carafe (535ml – only on Vertuo Next).
Inside each pod, there is freshly roasted coffee that has been compressed. When you insert them into the machine it uses pressure to extract all of the flavours and aromas out of the coffee pod. The result is a cup of coffee that tastes full-bodied, creamy, and delicious!
Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine
The Dolce Gusto coffee machine also uses pods to make a great cup of coffee. With the new XL function on the Genio range, you can brew cups of up to 300ml.
Inside the pods are finely ground coffee that has been compressed. As the machine heats up, it turns the water into steam that then brews through the pod and into your mug.
1. What is a Dolce Gusto and what are the benefits of using one
Dolce Gusto is a coffee machine that uses specially designed pods which brew one cup of coffee at a time. It comes with coffee pods that are sometimes paired with milk pods which you use to make different types of coffees and beverages.
The pod simply tucks into the machine, adjust the machine to the level indicated on the pod, and press start. Within seconds, your cup is ready.
It also comes with an adjustable drip tray which lets you place bigger cups under it without worrying about spilling all over your counter top (it happens).
Benefits of the Dolce Gusto
Dolce Gusto is very affordable and comes in at a low price point, making it one of the most popular pod coffee machines on the market today.
With the Dolce Gusto you are able to choose from a wide variety of coffee and beverages to try! Some of my favourite flavours include the Starbucks Caramel Macchiato and Chococino.
2. What is a Nespresso Coffee Machine and what are the benefits of using one
Nespresso Coffee Machine is a coffee machine that uses specially designed pods filled with ground coffee which brew one cup of coffee at a time.
You can also buy a separate Aeroccino Milk Frother to make perfect froth every single time.
The Nespresso machine is very simple and easy to use as you simply insert the pod, press start, and let the machine do its thing! It’s that easy.
Benefits of the Nespresso
The range of coffee that you get from Nespresso will please any coffee lover. They have a wide range of coffee selections from all over the world, with different intensities and different coffee notes. Whether you prefer your coffee intense and full bodied, floral and delicate or fruity and winey – there’s a pick for every taste bud and I really enjoy trying different flavours within the variety pack.
Take note that the coffee pods for the Original line and Vertuo line are different – they will only work with the machine type they are bought from the same product line.
3. Differences between Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso coffee machines and how they work
Nespresso offers more variety in the types of coffee choices. Nespresso has around 29 coffee flavours on each coffee type line.
Dolce Gusto has about 14 flavours which include a mix of coffee flavours as well as beverages.
Dolce Gusto has 15 bars of professional pressure that forces water through the pod of coffee and extracts all of the flavours and aromas inside.
Nespresso has a 19 bar high pressure pump to extract flavours for the Original line, and Centrifusion™ Extraction Technology for the Vertuo, that comes with barcode reading technology to extract the right amount of coffee.
4. How to use the Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso Pod Coffee Machine
Using either one of these pod machines is very easy to do, but they are slightly different.
Instructions for using a Dolce Gusto Pod Coffee Machine
1. Fill Water Reservoir – Before you can make any of your favourite coffee drinks, make sure that water is in the reservoir.
2. Insert Pod – Once the reservoir is full, insert your pod into the pod holders and press down until you hear a click noise.
3. Select Levels – The capsule has a guide to let you know what water level to set using the pod. Once you have adjusted your level, press the button and wait for your cup to fill up!
4. If you have selected a milk based drink, add the milk pod with the same steps to complete your drink.
Instructions for using a Nespresso Pod Coffee Machine
1. Fill Water Reservoir – Make sure the water reservoir in full with fresh drinking water before using it.
2. Insert Pod – Open the top compartment and insert your pod.
3. Select Size – Press start and if your machine allows size selection, select the appropriate size. It’s that easy to start brewing your favourite coffee or espresso based drinks.
4. Milk Frother – If you’re making a frothy latte or cappuccino, you can use the optional Aeroccino Milk Frother. Fill the jug up to the correct level, pour in the milk and press the button to froth the milk!
5. Which machine will be best suited for you based on your needs, budget, and lifestyle?
If you are looking for a wide variety of coffee bean flavours with different origins, aroma, flavour, intensity and body, your pick would be Nespresso.
If you are looking for lattes, cappuccinos, mocha drinks and chocolates, your pick would be the Dolce Gusto.
Price of Popular Nespresso Coffee Machines
- Nespresso Creatista Plus Espresso Machine – $630 (The Creatista opens up a world of possibilities with an inbuilt steam pipe for milk frothing, which makes it a class of its own in Nespresso Coffee Machines)
- Nespresso Vertuo Next Espresso Machine by Breville – $155
- Nespresso Essenza Mini Coffee Machine – $169 (This only supports up to Lungo size of 110ml)
Nespresso Cost per Capsule
Price Range of Popular Dolce Gusto Coffee Machines
- NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine, Genio 2 – $134
- NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine, Esperta 2 – $168
- NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine, Piccolo – $121
Dolce Gusto Cost per Capsule
- Each capsule cost approx $1.25-$1.43/capsule
If you are the type who loves drinking espressos in the mornings, or don’t mind spending the extra time to craft out the perfect coffee recipe with frothy milk, you will love the Nespresso.
If you are low maintenance and want to make coffee quickly without having to worry about frothing milk, the Dolce Gusto is for you.
At the end of the day, choosing between these two machines will come down to which one fits your needs the best. They both make great tasting coffee and beverages, however they do it in different ways.
6. Pros and cons of Nespresso and Dolce Gusto
- Ability to make speciality coffee similar to what you enjoy in a cafe
- Has a barcode reader for Vertuo series which ensures perfect extraction of coffee for every pod
- You can have your coffee with frothed fresh milk
- Comes with a capsule container inbuilt, so you do not have to throw your capsules every time
If you’re an espresso lover
The ability to choose coffee with different intensities and from different origins is a deciding factor to choose a Nespresso
- There is extra steps involved if you want to froth your milk with the Aeroccino
- Not as affordable as the Dolce Gusto
Dolce Gusto Pros:
- Can make multiple beverage types other than coffee
- Excellent variety for Starbucks beverages range
- More affordable compared to the Nespresso
- No need to clean the milk frother after making milk based drinks, just throw away the pod
If you’re a beverage lover
If you like to have different options with your machine – like hot chocolate and matcha latte, the Dolce Gusto will be the preferred choice for you!
Dolce Gusto Cons:
- Some customers don’t like having powdered milk in their coffee, and prefer fresh milk
- Range of coffee is not as wide vs the Nespresso
I think that the best coffee maker is ultimately going to be the one that fits your needs best. If you are someone who loves espresso drinks and can’t seem to find a machine that makes them consistently at home, then the Nespresso machine is likely your best option.
The Nespresso pod system uses pre-made pods that contain coffee grinds already ground up to the right consistency for brewing espresso-based drinks like lattes, cappuccinos, etc. This means it is much easier to make your favorite beverage at home without having to worry about grinding your own beans or worrying that it will come out wrong.
On the other hand, the Dolce Gusto pod coffee maker uses a variety of different pods depending on what drink you want to make. These range from latte and espresso pods, to teas and even hot chocolates. Personally I got the Dolce Gusto because Starbucks Caramel Macchiato is one of my go to drinks for coffee!
What coffee machine are you getting? Let me know in the comments below!