The Theragun Pro vs Hypervolt 2 Pro – these are the two of the most popular percussive therapy massage guns on the market. If you’re looking to purchase one, but you’re still trying to decide which to get, then this article is for you! We will compare these models in terms of their features, price points, pros/cons, and more. Keep reading to find out which massager is right for your needs!
For those of you who are not familiar with these tools, both guns have been designed by chiropractors specifically as deep tissue massage therapy tools.
Let’s start with some background information about each tool before we get into its features and benefits.
What is a Percussion Massage Gun?
Percussion massage guns are small, handheld machines that help to release tension and tight muscles in the body. By using a gun over traditional massage techniques, you can provide more targeted relief from muscle soreness or pain – especially if pressure points are involved.
What is Theragun Pro?
Therabody Theragun Pro is a massage gun that provides commercial grade percussive therapy with pinpoint accuracy. It is powerful, quiet, and also comes with a personalised guided app experience that teaches you how best to use the device to help you reduce muscle soreness and increase relaxation. Used by athletes and personal trainers worldwide, it is a great tool that helps anyone looking to improve their health and fitness journey.
Benefits of Theragun Pro
- Relieves stress and relaxes the body by releasing tension and fluid deep in the muscles to increase tissue metabolism
- Increases blood and lymphatic circulation, which allow more oxygen and nutrients to reach the muscles
- Improves muscle recovery and speeds up healing
- Releases lactic acid build-up in the body, often a result of intense exercise
- Stimulates nerve receptors and improves mobility
What is Hypervolt 2 Pro?
Hyperice Hypervolt 2 Pro is a portable percussion massage gun that people can use to relieve muscle pain, tension, and soreness. The device suits those who exercise regularly and aids in the recovery of muscles from strenuous activity or injury. It’s an excellent option for both professional athletes looking for a safe way to prevent overuse injuries, casual exercisers wanting better circulation without risking joint damage, and other people who workout regularly.
Benefits of Hypervolt 2 Pro
- Helpful for people who have chronic low back pain, and other types of muscular problems
- Excellent choice for people who are looking to relieve pain, stiffness, and tension
- Supports the body’s ability to heal itself by increasing blood flow
- Great product for people who are looking to improve their flexibility
Differences between the Theragun Pro and Hypervolt 2 Pro and how they work
Now that you know a little bit more about these tools, let’s compare their key features so that you can determine which tool will be best for your needs.
|Theragun Pro||Hypervolt 2 Pro|
|Percussion Speed||1750 – 2400 PPM||1700 – 2700 PPM|
|Massage Head Attachments||6||5|
|Battery Life||300 minutes (2 batteries)||180 minutes (1 battery)|
|Weight||2.9 pounds||2.6 pounds|
|Size||10 in x 7.1 in x 3 in||8 x 2.5 x 10.4 in|
|Warranty||2 Years||1 Year|
Theragun Pro vs Hypervolt 2 Pro – Percussion Speed
Theragun Pro features 5 built-in speeds (1750, 1900, 2100, 2200, 2400 percussions per minute). It also has app-controlled customizable speed range, which allows you to choose any speed between 1750-2400 percussions per minute.
Hypervolt 2 Pro has 5 built-in speeds (1700, 1900, 2100, 2400, 2700 percussions per minute). It comes with a digital dial to select your preferred speed.
Theragun Pro vs Hypervolt 2 Pro – Massage Head Attachments
Theragun Pro comes with six interchangeable massager head attachments (Supersoft, Dampener, Standard Ball, Wedge, Thumb, Cone) which allow you to customise your treatment styles depending on what you need.
The supersoft attachment is an ultra gentle option for sensitive to sore areas, so you can even use it near bones or joints.
Hypervolt 2 Pro comes with five interchangeable massager head attachments (Fork, Ball, Cushion, Flat, Bullet) which allow you to customise your treatment styles depending on what you need.
Massage Attachments Winner – Theragun Pro
I like the Theragun Pro’s range of attachments which has a wider range for specific parts of the body
Theragun Pro vs Hypervolt 2 Pro – Battery Life
Theragun Pro is rechargeable and has got a total of 300 minutes of lithium-ion battery time (comes with 2 batteries, 150 minutes each, and it’s easily swappable). Also, it has a wireless charging stand so you can conveniently charge the device wirelessly.
Hypervolt 2 Pro has 180 minutes of battery life, but it only comes with one battery. Charging is wired.
Theragun Pro vs Hypervolt 2 Pro – Weight and Size
Theragun Pro weighs 2.9 pounds and measures 10 in x 7.1 in x 3 in.
Hypervolt 2 Pro weighs 2.6 pounds and measure 8 x 2.5 x 10.4 in.
Portability Winner – Hypervolt 2 Pro
The Hypervolt 2 Pro is lighter and smaller in size compared to the Theragun Pro
Theragun Pro vs Hypervolt 2 Pro – Price
Theragun Pro is $599.
Hypervolt 2 Pro is $399, so it is relatively more affordable.
How to use the Theragun Pro and Hypervolt 2 Pro
How to Use Theragun Pro
- Turn on the Theragun without putting it on your body. That may seem like a minor thing, but it’s important for better control. Resting the Theragun on your muscle and then turning it on can be a little jarring.
- Press the plus (+) and minus (-) buttons on the button pad to increase or decrease speed.
- Press the left (<) and right (>) arrows on the button pad to toggle between the PRO’s pre-loaded treatment presets.
- Glide the Theragun along with the muscle. Move slowly—about an inch a second or slower.
- If you hit a knot or an area of tension, let the Theragun rest on that spot—without adding additional pressure—for a few moments before moving on.
How to Use Hypervolt 2 Pro
- Switch the Hypervolt 2 Pro to the “on” postion at the base of the handle.
- Adjust the speed setting using the digital dial. The LED lights will indicate what is the speed setting.
- Once turned on, glide the device over the area you want to work on in gentle strokes, keeping the HyperVolt 2 Pro about an inch or two away from your skin.
- Move across the body keeping to a max of 60 seconds per region.
- For full instructions you can refer to their official manual.
Pros and Cons – Theragun Pro and Hypervolt 2 Pro
Theragun Pro – What are the Pros?
- Helps relief pain from arthritis, back aches, sore muscles and speeds up recovery on injuries
- 2 Swappable Batteries, 150 minutes each, 300 minutes total. Wireless charging enabled is a plus point
- Mobile App for customisation options on settings, modes of massage heads and guided wellness routine which you can save up to 3 presets
- OLED screen with force meter indication and battery life
- Two year warranty
Theragun Pro – What are the Cons?
- Although it comes with a carrying case, the large size makes it difficult to fit into a bag
- One of the more expensive models in the market
Theragun Pro – Price
- $599 USD
Hypervolt 2 Pro – What are the Pros?
- Helps relieves sore muscles after workouts, backaches, lower back pains, and stiff muscles
- Great travel companion – the Hypervolt Pro 2 has a size of only 8 x 2.5 x 10.4 in and portable design (TSA approved)
- Budget friendly yet with great value – comes with 5 speeds and 5 attachments
- It is relatively quieter than other massage guns
Hypervolt Pro 2 – What are the Cons?
- One year warranty
- The Hypervolt comes without a carrying case. You have to pay extra for one
Hypervolt Pro 2 – Price
- $399 USD
Now that you know more about these tools, which will be right for your needs?
If you’re looking for a high-end massage gun with many features and options that will last for years of daily use, then we recommend buying Theragun Pro. On the other hand, if you need a cheaper option or one that is more lightweight and portable so you can take it on trips with ease, then Hypervolt 2 will be your best bet!
Personally, I’m leaning towards the Theragun Pro because I don’t see myself bringing out the massage gun often, and I love the feeling of muscle relief I get after a quick session with the Theragun Pro! The choices the Theragun Pro provides in terms of massage attachments really won me over.
Either way, whichever massager you decide between these two models will still do wonders in relieving stress from tight muscles after a tough workout or long day at work. Which one do you prefer? Let me know in the comment box below!
FAQs about Percussion Massage Guns
What is Percussive Therapy?
Percussive therapy is a type of massage therapy that uses impact to relieve pain and restore movement. During a percussive therapy massage, the clinician applies pressure to muscles with quick back-and-forth movements using an applicator such as the Theragun Pro Massager. The percussive force from high-speed impacts helps for faster muscle recovery, increase blood flow and relieve pain.
Do massage guns help in muscle recovery?
Yes. In this research evaluation, results showed that percussive therapy like the Hypervolt and Theragun is effective in increasing range of movement and reduce the effects of delayed muscle soreness. It is recommended to use as a warm-up before exercise to improve flexibility. It also helps in a rehabilitation setting to reduce perceived pain and release tight muscle tissue which can cause pain and discomfort.
Which is better Theragun Pro or Hypervolt Pro 2?
Both devices are FDA-approved medical massage products that will provide you relief for your pain and discomfort, but it comes down to individual preference. There isn’t one device that’s necessarily better than the other, it really depends on your needs and preferences as a user. Both devices can be used for self-massage or with help from a therapist.
Who should not use a massage gun?
Massage guns are usually safe to use, but there are some cases where they should not be used. If you have an implant or permanent medical device such as a pacemaker in your body, had a recent injury or surgery, please consult with your doctor before using any massage gun.
If you feel pain or discomfort when you try to use it, stop immediately. Do consult with your doctor if you have any questions about whether it’s right for you.
Is Hypervolt or Theragun quieter?
The Hypervolt Pro 2 is a bit quieter than the Theragun Pro, but both devices are relatively quiet for a massage gun.
Are there Ultra Portable percussive massage guns?
If you are looking for percussive massage guns that are even more portable and easy to carry around, you can look at the Theragun mini or the Hypervolt Go. They are very affordable and are a great basic option.
Can Theragun Pro or Hypervolt Pro 2 cause damage?
Both massages are very gentle and usually won’t cause any damage. However, it should not be used in areas with conditions such as osteoporosis or where there are swollen blood vessels or weak bones.
Who can use Theragun Pro or Hypervolt Pro 2?
Anyone who wants relief from muscle pain or discomfort can use these devices.
Both massagers are safe for anyone age 13 or older to use, including athletes and those with high levels of muscle tension.
Who should get the Theragun Pro and Hypervolt Pro 2?
Both are great devices that provide relief from muscle pain. If you’re looking for a handheld device to use at home, Theragun Pro is the better choice because it’s more versatile and has guided routines through its app.
If you have a smaller budget, the Hypervolt Pro 2 provides great value for your buck but still has a good amount of features and speed settings.